Lynnside in Monroe County, West Virginia, was for many
years home to the Lewis and Floyd and related families. Both the Lewis
and Floyd families had members who made significant contributions to the
history of Virginia, West Virginia, and America.
derelict red brick house called Lynnside, seen
above, was constructed in 1845. It
stands on a small rise facing, across Route 3 (historically the
Greenbrier to Lynchburg Toll Road). This image was captured looking west
from the place where Routes 3 and 311 intersect (link to map below).
In 1754, the Scotch-Irish pioneer
Andrew Lewis made the first land survey here for the Greenbrier Company.
He went on to become General Andrew Lewis of Revolutionary War
fame. His brother Colonel Charles Lewis, died at the Battle of Point
Pleasant in 1774. His brother William Lewis built the first Lynnside
house around 1780, and was the founder of the nearby Sweet Springs spa in 1774.
Today, the house and surrounding
property are part of the Lynnside Historic District in the Valley of the
Sweet Springs. The site of the "Old Sweet Springs" spa lies about a mile
to the northeast. St. John's Catholic Chapel is situated across the road
about a quarter of a mile from the house. At the top of the knoll to the
rear of the house are the Lewis Family Cemetery and the Catholic
Cemetery. Lynnside Spring is at the right edge of the picture above.
Virginia Governor John Floyd and his
wife Letitia Preston Floyd are buried on the hill beyond the house. He
died here in 1837 while visiting his daughter Letitia Preston Lewis. His
wife Letitia Preston died in 1853 at her home in Burke's Garden, and her
body was brought here to lie beside her husband's.
The governor was for many years
sympathetic to the Catholic Church and Letitia actually converted to
Catholicism very late in life. Many of their descendents were active
church members and the association between the
Catholic Church and this place continues to the present day.